5. The rain – it has been raining for the past few days here and I, for one, love it. When you live in Los Angeles, sometimes it is hard to remember it is actually winter and other places are buried in snow. I always sleep so well when I can hear the rain, plus, I have bomb hot pink rain boots and a leopard umbrella. I look fabulous when it rains!
4. Kosher Subway – today I went to the kosher Subway for lunch and LET ME TELL YOU it was unreal. First of all, the place was full of hot Orthodox Jewish boys giving me, the bad Conservative Jew in a sexy white coat, funny looks – “what is she doing here?” But I stood my ground and was rewarded with a delicious footlong HOT PASTRAMI sub! The menu is glatt kosher certified and offers things not found on regular Subway menus (like schwarma and corned beef and the aforementioned delicious pastrami) to compensate for things that they have to take off (like bacon and cheese- who needs it?!). For those of you who are interested in taking me out for a hot lunch date, the kosher Subway is located on Pico between Lapeer and Doheny and I am available around 1:00. See you there.
3. Pit Fire Pizza – this is a last minute addendum to my list! Ali just took Allison and I to a fabulous new place for dinner and it really was great. Pit Fire Pizza (on Westwood Blvd between Santa Monica and Olympic) kind of reminded Ali and I of Sauce in Tucson (how I miss you, Sauce) – the menu had oven baked pizzas, pastas, paninis, soups and salads. They even had cupcakes, which Allison wanted to get and will definitely be ordered next time! The nice thing about this place was that they boast local ingredients and try to use organic whenever possible (ie, from the Farmers Market). I had one of the seasonal special pizzas – it was a whole wheat crust with roasted hazelnuts, tomato sauce, dressed microgreens, pesto and burrata cheese (my new favorite cheese ever since this summer in Italy). Everything else on the menu looked really good and fresh and smelled amazing. Next time I will make someone split two things with me so I can taste more of their food. I can’t wait to go back!
2. My dream vacation – I decided today what I wanted my honeymoon to be. Someone talked me out of it, but I still think this is an amazing idea and I WILL do it sometime in my life. I don’t know about all of you, but I constantly read food reviews and websites and blogs and am always hearing about new and amazing restaurants that I am dying to try, but alas, they are always in Chicago or Hawaii or northern California. So, I have decided that one day, I am going to do a restaurant “greatest hits” where I travel for a week or two trying the restaurants I’ve always wanted to try. So far, I know for sure on my list are Thomas Keller’s French Laundry, Grant Achatz’s Alinea, Joel Robuchon , and Eric Ripert’s Le Bernadin. I’m drooling just thinking about it.
1. Crowned – I CAN’T BELIEVE IT HAS TAKEN ME SO LONG TO TALK ABOUT THIS SHOW. Truly, there are no words for this horrifyingly trashy spectacle (predictably brought to us by the CW), but I’ll try to explain it – basically, moms and daughters compete together in teams against other mom/daughter teams in a BEAUTY PAGEANT. Every episode there is a different challenge and each team performs a routine for the judges (including Carson Kressley, the gayest man on the planet and Shana Moakler, the trashiest girl on the planet who beat up her husband Travis Barker). Here’s the best part – when one team is eliminated at the end of each show, their pageant sashes are CUT OFF OF THEM BY AN ENORMOUS PAIR OF GLITTERY SCISSORS. Seriously, if this blog inspires you to do anything, sit down and watch an hour of this show. It is sickening, yet fabulous.
This is really long and Allison is yelling at me to watch HSM2 with her, so I’m off!