Monday, February 11, 2008

Super (Exhausting) Sunday

So I think yesterday was probably the longest day of my entire life.

I got to work at 8:30 ON A SUNDAY, yes, on a Sunday, for Super Sunday, which, if you don’t know already, is The Jewish Federation’s annual largest single day of fundraising. I could give my press release shpiel but honestly I am SO over Super Sunday. I don’t even want to hear the words “super” or “Sunday” for at least a week, unless it’s in reference to an extremely large ice cream with cherries and whipped cream. And nuts.

I think the highlight of my morning in the city was when the Channel 7 cameraman (who had been there for an hour and a half shooting TWENTY MINUTES OF FILM for a thirty second spot) realized that there was food around the corner. “You have noshies?” he asked me wonderously, with big hungry eyes. I didn’t know if he was kidding or not –about the use of the word “noshies” or if we had food there. “Um, yes, we have food,” I told him uncertainly, not sure if he was aware that he was at THE JEWISH FEDERATION, where we eat on the hour, every hour, with occasional breaks in between for dessert buffets on the 10th floor.

Anywho, I was at the city site from 8:30 – 3:30 (doing press with the mayor and the county supervisor and other elected randoms), after which I drove from WEST HOLLYWOOD to WEST HILLS. Not so fun. Then I hung around the valley site for a while, interviewing people there until 6:30. I interviewed Benjamin (who could not keep a straight face), and he had brought Gina, so I interviewed her too, and some other people, most of whom I knew. I love the Valley Alliance, I really do. Everyone on leadership there has practically raised me since birth! I also got to see my Anna, for the first time since Jacob was here about three weeks ago. She looked very tired and one of her ears was bright red, which was puzzling.

I then traveled home, ate a quick bite of tofu that Mommy made me, and got back in my car and trekked to Sherman Oaks, for my first March of the Living meeting, which was pretty cool. I think I am by far the youngest staff member going on the trip. Even my good friend Daniel is older than me – by 10 days, but still. I only knew Susie and Monise (Daniel is in New York so he isn’t coming to any of the orientations) but everyone seemed really nice and I’m sure we’ll all be pals soon. One of the girls going on it has the most beautiful red hair I have ever seen – I was instantly jealous. Also, one of the staff members is married to my former 7th grade history teacher, Mrs. Shpall, who I adored back in middle school. He and I can bond over that. Good times.

After our very long meeting, I ran to Solleys and met the parentals for dinner, where I quickly perused the menu and was basically like “F Weight Watchers right now” and ordered a hot dog. MMMM my fave. After dinner I got back in my car and drove home to Brentwood (60 miles logged today, in case you were wondering), where I stumbled blindly into bed and passed out around 11pm.

I am exhausted just reading about my day! Anyways, yesterday The Jewish Federation raised $4,501, 207 for people in need in Los Angeles, Israel, and abroad. I want to thank all my friends who gave to the Federation when I called – it really means so much to me that you all support what I do. You all contributed over $300 dollars together and I thank you so much! I love you all!

No comments: