Sunday, February 24, 2008

And the Oscar Goes To...

So I have just finished watching the 80th Academy Awards. Ali and Lon came over and we watched with my mom, who had cooked us a delicious feast with potstickers, stuffed mushrooms, chips with guacamole and onion dip, potatoes with caviar, veggies, and a cheese plate. Brilliant!

Jon Stewart was the host and I thought he did an okay, if not slightly boring, job. Come on Jon! You are hilarious, sarcastic, and Jewish. I expect great things from you.


From what I saw on the red carpet, mostly everyone looked beautiful, with the exception of Tilda Swinton. GROSS. It literally seemed like she rolled out of bed and put on a dirty old black robe. The woman had not ONE OUNCE of makeup on her pale face. Scary. I was slightly disappointed that no one was really wearing any spectacular bright color. Many people wore red, which is fine, but not that exciting. I wanted to see someone wearing turquoise or yellow or hot pink (of course.)

Most of the awards were fairly predictable. I did not get as many right as I did last year, but that was probably a fluke. I was right about Daniel Day Lewis and Javier Bardem, among others. I was also pleased Marion Cotilliard won for Best Actress - she looked beautiful and her speech was very cute.

I was not disappointed about the one award I was really crossing my fingers for: Diablo Cody won Best Original Screenplay for Juno!!!!!!!! I genuinely could not be more happy about this. There are so many things I loved about the movie, and the dialogue was truly something else - sharp, biting, quick, sarcastic, and emotional.

Diablo Cody accepted her award wearing a fucking fabulous leopard/bejeweled flowing dress, which made me love her even more. This woman is so awesome - she is a former stripper who wrote Juno at a Starbucks inside a Super Target in FUCKING MINNESOTA and now she owns an OSCAR. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

If you've never clicked on any of the links I've posted, please, please, please click on this. It's a totally brilliant piece on Diablo Cody, written by EW Magazine writer Karen Valby, and it is truly am amazing, insightful look at one of Hollywood's most talented new writers. I really love her!

All in all, a good time at the Academy Awards. You all know how much I love this day and I am so happy the strike ended it time to let it happen.

Anyways, tomorrow is the Federation's annual It Takes A Woman: The Main Event luncheon. I am going as a guest, not working, because it is an event that I enjoy very much and have always come home from school to attend with my mom. The special guest speaker is Marlee Matlin and I am very excited to meet her. I will post the photo that Marvin takes. (Now is as good of a time as any to relay an important rule of mine: always be on a first name basis with the photographer. Trust me, you will want to know his name.)

I will let you all know how that goes. Hope you had a good weekend!

No comments: